Follow us!

    Re: mercury spill advisory

    Posted by Fred R. Dressler on 7/22/04

    Thank you for the prompt reply, and yes we have discussed
    it before, (the full extent was not known), and yes I am
    altimately responsible for my actions and except my personal
    fate, it is unfortunate however that so many others have been
    affected by a culmination of negligence, this is merely a
    posting of notice from, it is from a sense of
    responcibility that leads me to warn any other(s) that may
    have been exposed, my sole purpose is to get the word out, I
    feel it my civic duty.

    7/22/04, Mary wrote:
    > Hey Fred:
    > We've discussed this before, haven't we. Tell us what you
    > think your own level of negligence might be.
    > Best Regards,
    > Mary
    > On 7/21/04, Fred R. Dressler wrote:
    >> (1) Stevenson, (wa) Highschool Mercury spill
    >> In 1970 a one pound flask of liquid mercury was taken from
    >> the science lab by my brother John Dressler a juvinile
    >> (now deceased), at the age of 8 I ingested a significant
    >> amount of this material and subsequently spilled no less
    >> than 12 oz.s on the second floor of the "old Ziegler home"
    >> located on Gropper rd. directly across from the school.
    >> My diagnosis of heavy metal poisoning and sence of civic
    >> duty prompted me to contact local law inforcement, the
    >> epa, school dist.303, the Ska. Co. Health dept. and the
    >> Ska. Co. Pioneer,(sole media sorce of the county)and
    >> lastly, (pursuent to fedral law concerning the spill of
    >> one pound or more), to the National response agency.
    >> After consulting Bryce A. McCollum Psy. D. (county
    >> agent/sole psycologist) on the matter it was suggested
    >> that I should contact anyone spending prolonged periods of
    >> time in the house between 1970 and 1985 as the spilled
    >> mercury permiated the second floor for over a decade,
    >> eventually puddled between floors, seeping through the
    >> kitchen ceiling as it evaporated.
    >> After contacting no less than 15 individuals I was
    >> astonished to find that 100&37;, (without exception) are
    >> showing, not,"similar", symptoms, but rather, "Identical",
    >> symptoms, this number could easily double or triple.
    >> Feeling it a matter of public safety and awareness, I
    >> contacted the Ska. Co Pioneer who informed me that they
    >> could not print "supposition", (Although the flask was
    >> personally handled by no less than 8 individuals and the
    >> facts are irrefutable),and that the matter would have to
    >> go through the Ska. Co. Health dept., who were in turn,
    >> immediatly contacted.
    >> The health dept. acknowledged receiving my prior
    >> notification and deemed from their office chairs
    >> that, "since the house was destroyed by fire in 1990, it
    >> would no longer be a hazard", and, "Besides, that would
    >> require testing, and guys in suits and stuff, you know how
    >> it goes", needless to say I was surprised.
    >> It would seem to me, that due to it's proximity to the
    >> school, (less than 100 feet), that you would at least do a
    >> prelimary, (enviromental level), test prior to reaching
    >> that conclusion rather than reaching a conclusion prior to
    >> any testing.
    >> I then asked the Health Dept. "What about those
    >> individuals that spent time in the house that I'm not
    >> personally aware of?, don't they have a right to know that
    >> they may have been exposed to a known health risk?", the
    >> answer was "NO", I was astounded.
    >> I then asked, "Isn't there a way you could inform the
    >> public through a published advisory?", the answer was, "If
    >> you want to inform the public you will have to file a
    >> class action". I was appalled, (seems like a lot of
    >> trouble to go though just to do what they should be doing,
    >> looking out for the public's wellbeing).
    >> I then stated that the bottle and it's remaining content
    >> are still in existance today, ironically at the home of a
    >> retired teacher who was never made aware of the loss, I
    >> was merely asked, "Is the cap still on it?", and, "If so,
    >> don't worry about it".
    >> I found this last statement disconserting considering even
    >> after 30+ years it was still considered, "stolen
    >> property",and a hazardous material whose location was made
    >> known, there was no attempt to retrieve it,are they
    >> waiting for another 8 year old to open it?
    >> The fact that the bottle was not reported missing until 20
    >> years later by teachers who knew the loss, is no less than
    >> gross negligence, the fact that nothing was mentioned to
    >> the public and that there may still be enviromental or
    >> health consequences, to me, is continued negligence.
    >> Symptoms include: memory and speach difficulties,tremors
    >> or involuntary muscle contractions, confusion, social
    >> anxiety,(see EPA website/mercury).
    >> If you or someone you know spent prolonged periods in the
    >> afore mentioned house you are urged to contact me, The
    >> only reason I've chosen this method to inform the public
    >> is because of the Health Dept. and Pioneer's failure to do
    >> so.
    >> Fred R. Dressler
    >> (904) 710-6166

    Posts on this thread, including this one

  Site Map:  Home Chatboards Legal Jobs Classified Ads Search Contacts Advertise
  © 1996 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Please review our Terms of Use, Mission Statement, and Privacy Policy.