Post: Sensitive to vinyl and plastic fumes, etc
Posted by Cindy on 3/24/03
Two recent incidents seemed more extreme than past ones:
first I got new glasses and the lenses gave off a "hot
plastic smell" that stung my nostrils and burned my eyes.
The fumes have gradually dissipated but if i wear them for
prolonged periods they still burn. Second incident, we got
vinyl vertical blinds for a patio door, and within hours I
was feeling ill enough that we had to take them down and
get rid of them. Fortunately they were cheap, and we can
probably find replacement panes of another material that
will fit in the clips. After the incident with the glasses
i'm kicking myself for buying vinyl blinds without thinking
maybe it wasnt' such a good idea, but we've had vinyl
blinds before that didn't do that to me.
I used to work around chemicals used in painting; toluene,
acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, alcohol, MEK,
etc. I tried to protect myself but as the years went by it
bothered me more. After quitting work in that field and
being away from it for a few yrs, it seems like I have
significant reactions to plastic and vinyl odors, solvents,
pesticides, cleansers, etc now.
Can anyone direct me to a website or book on this, and what
can be done to stop it? I feel like if it keeps going this
way, soon I'll be sensitive to everything. I've also had
terrible allergies this year.
Posts on this thread, including this one