Re: acute mecury poisoning
Posted by mary on 2/13/04
There are some signficant complicating issues here:
You were recently diagnosed with mercury poisoning.
You haven't lived in the hourse for 20+ years.
The house was destroyed 10+ years ago.
The average biological half-life for mercury is less than 100 days.
You apparently knew of a theft that occured something like 30 years
ago and took no action to report it (we will give you a break
because you were a kid).
If you are actually displaying symptoms and have elevated biological
mercury levels, then something else is going on here. Perhaps you
have exposure from another source. Work, fish, whatever.
If what you have is impaired health from this past exposure event,
but you are not displaying any other symptoms (elevated mercury
levels or other physiological abnormalities asssociated with Hg
exposure) then I think you don't have a case at all. Who are you
going to sue? The person that stole the mercury? The homeowner? The
school? What are you going to use for physical evidence?
Clarify for me, if you would. Are you presently displaying elevated
On 2/13/04, Fred R. Dressler wrote:
> I lived in the house from 1970-1980, it was destroyed by fire
> in the early 1990's, I as well as it were very popular with a
> number of students/friends, you could see where the mercury had
> rained/stained the ceiling for a decade.. another reason I
> contacted the school board is because a second home has now been
> constructed within 50 ft of the first house... I just didn't want
> to see some kid "eat dirt" and come down with what I have...
> On 2/13/04, mary wrote:
>> When was the house destroyed? How long have you been out of it?
>> Best Regards,
>> On 2/13/04, Fred R Dressler wrote:
>>> thanks.. I was 9yrs old when my 13 yr old brother (not a high
>>> school student), walked next door to the high school and
>>> returned with it.. he died four years later of unrelated
>>> causes.. I put it in my mouth..and spilled the entirety.. a
>>> succession a catastrophic events pushed it from memory until..
>>> being diagnosed 3 months ago with acute mercury poisoning.. I
>>> had to think.."where have I been around mercury?", the memory
>>> hit me like a ton of bricks.. I am now realizing just how many
>>> people may be effected.. the house has since been destroyed by
>>> fire... I wrote the school board to inform them of the event
>>> but got no reply... I did so because I thought it may pose a
>>> continued hazard due to it's close proximty..
>>> On 2/13/04, mary wrote:
>>>> Are you an owner of the property? Renter, guest? Parent of a
>>>> participating child? Teacher at the school? Need some more
>>>> facts. Are you potentially at fault? Why haven't you told
>>>> anyone? This is a bad scenario, one that has been repeated a
>>>> number of times.
>>>> Best Regards,
>>>> On 2/13/04, Fred R Dressler wrote:
>>>>> A high science lab was "relieved" of a 1 lb..(16oz) flask
>>>>> of pure liquid mercury, taken to a residence aproximately
>>>>> 50 ft from school poperty, was drank by a 9 year old boy
>>>>> and subsequently spilled throughout the second floor of
>>>>> the two story, wood frame house.
>>>>> Due to it's proximatey to the school it was very popular
>>>>> with disinfranchised youth. over a decade the mercury
>>>>> seeped though the floorboards of the second story,
>>>>> directly above the kitchen area until eventually puddling
>>>>> above, and leaking from the kitchen ceiling... for a
>>>>> decade as many as fifty other individuals (kids)
>>>>> were "rained" on by mercury... I'm 43 and have the
>>>>> neurological motorskills of a man twice my age... is it
>>>>> a "tort" case or a "class action"? considering the number
>>>>> of people who are not yet aware of the problem... (I
>>>>> haven't told them yet)...can anyone help me?...
Posts on this thread, including this one